What is Lumigan used for?
Lumigan is used to treat increased eye pressure caused by open-angle glaucoma or ocular hypertension in adult patients who cannot take, or do not respond to other intraocular (eye) pressure lowering medications.
Who should not
You should not use Lumigan if you:
- are pregnant or trying to become pregnant
- are allergic to Lumigan or to any of the ingredients in Lumigan including benzalkonium chloride
Special Warnings with Lumigan:Lumigan may cause:
These changes happen slowly and may be permanent. The long-term effects of these
changes are not known.
- your treated eye or eyes to change color (become more brown)
- the skin around the eye such as the eyelid to darken
- eyelashes to increase in length, thickness, darkness and/or number
Lumigan may also cause the middle part of the eye to swell and hold fluid
General Precautions with Lumigan:
- Remove contact lenses before using Lumigan in the eyes. Wait 15 minutes after using Lumigan before putting in your contact lenses because Lumigan contains a preservative that may be absorbed by the
- Lumigan must be used at least 5 minutes apart from other eye medicines.
- Lumigan may cause the central portion of the retina to accumulate fluid and swell. This is called macular edema.
- Do not let the tip of the
Lumigan medicine dropper touch your eye or skin.
What should I tell my health care provider?
Tell your health care provider if you:
- have pain, warmth or swelling in the eyes
- are trying to become pregnant, are already pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- have or had kidney problems
- have or had liver problems
- wear contact lenses
- have a history of, or risk factors for macular edema
Tell your health care
provider about all the medicines you take, including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements. Some medicines may affect how
Lumigan works or Lumigan may affect how your other medicines work.
What are some possible side effects of Lumigan? (This is NOT
a complete list of side effects reported with Lumigan. Your health care provider can
discuss with you a more complete list of side effects.)
The most common side effects include:
- red eyes
- growth of eyelashes
- itchy eyes
- blurry vision
- eye discomfort or pain
- sensation of having an object in the eye
For more detailed information about Lumigan, ask your health care provider.